If you have just found out about pregnancy safe shampoos and want to know more, then this piece is for you. It is not a mere marketing term as indicated by naysayers. Pregnancy safe shampoo are indeed made differently to suit to-be mothers who do not want to risk the health of their to-be born child by using regular chemical-laden shampoos available in the market.
Becoming a mother is one of the best feelings of the world. Whether you are a first-time mother or have had a kid before, the surreal feeling doesn’t change. However, pregnancy safe shampoo is not a cakewalk. Many things change – your hormones, your tastes, your preferences, your emotions, and most importantly your body. It is quite natural to become over-protective about your to-be born child which brings us to the topic of pregnancy safe shampoos.
If you are pregnant, it is quite natural that your doctor has suggested what to do and what not to. From food changes to lifestyle changes, a to-be mother is guided by doctors and family. However, a topic that is often not discussed is the use of beauty care products during pregnancy. Products like shampoos, conditioners, etc. contain harmful and harsh chemicals that are not good for your yet-to-be-born baby. As your hair follicles absorb the content of the beauty products that you use, it is best to choose a safe shampoo during pregnancy.
- Do you Need a Different Shampoo During Pregnancy?
- What to Consider Before Buying the Best Pregnancy Safe Shampoo?
- List of Shampoos that are Safe to Use During Pregnancy
- Top 10 Pregnancy Safe Shampoos Reviewed
- 1. Whamisa Organic Seeds Sub-Acid Hair Shampoo:
- 2. Hair Shampoo – With Organic & Natural Ingredients:
- 3. BIGGREEN Pregnancy Shampoo – Big Green Natural Ingredients:
- 4. Aveeno Active Naturals Pure Renewal Shampoo:
- 5. Free & Clear Hair Shampoo | Fragrance, Gluten, and Sulfate Free:
- 6. Klorane ultra-gentle shampoo with oat milk:
- 7. BYRD Purifying Shampoo with Red Algae, Green Tea, Aloe Vera:
- 8. Brooklin Botany Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo:
- 9. Puriya Sulfate-Free Scalp Clarifying Shampoo with Tea Tree Oil:
- 10. PURA D’OR Hair Thinning Therapy Biotin Shampoo VANILLA LAVENDER Scent:
Do you Need a Different Shampoo During Pregnancy?
Well, I have heard many people reason that chemicals can’t enter the body because the shampoo stays on the scalp for barely a minute or two. To them, the concept of best pregnancy safe shampoos is just a fad. I wonder how people can turn a blind eye to something as serious as this. When you use a shampoo that has good ingredient like keratin or aloe vera or something such and expects your hair and scalp to absorb the same, why is it difficult to understand that the chemicals present in shampoo, too, can enter the body.
Laboratory tests have proven that certain chemicals like sodium lauryl sulfate, parabens, synthetic parabens, phthalates, methylisothiazolinone, etc. present in common shampoos can cause birth defects, inhibition of growth of nerve cells, hormonal imbalance, etc. While it is true that no human tests have been done, why put your baby at risk when you can opt for a safe shampoo for pregnancy and avoid all risks. A shampoo that no harmful chemicals and is mostly made of natural and organic ingredients will be the safest choice for your pregnancy.
What to Consider Before Buying the Best Pregnancy Safe Shampoo?
Buying a shampoo that’s safe for use during pregnancy cannot be a hasty choice. There are important things that must be taken into consideration before you buy yourself a bottle for use during pregnancy. My experience tells me that a purchase made after thoughtful consideration will not only keep your tresses healthy but also make it safe for your to-be born. Here’s what I find important.
You must take a look at the ingredient list before you make a choice. Eliminating harsh chemicals isn’t enough. You have to make sure that the other ingredients are good for your hair. Pregnancy brings about a lot of changes. Your hair will become rough, thick, and oily due to the changing levels of estrogen. Hair fall is also very common in pregnant women. So, while choosing a shampoo during pregnancy, you must pay attention to what the content is. Ingredients like aloe vera, Moroccan argan oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, coconut oil, etc. are good for your hair. Using a shampoo that contains nourishing ingredients will not only cleanse your hair but also keep it healthy.
Irrespective of whether you have a rand fascination or not, it is important that you take a good look at the brand name. Popular and good shampoo brands are more likely to have products that stand up to their claims. They can be easily trusted for safe use. That said, newer and niche safe shampoo during pregnancy brands should also be on your radar. Many new brands have come up with products that are specially made for to-be mothers and have earned raving praise from users. You can surely check them out too.
The next most important thing to check is the price of the product. Paying an exorbitant sum for a fancy product is not at all suggested. The best shampoo for pregnancy isn’t determined by its price tag. The contents and performance of the shampoo are important and it should be available at a reasonable price. You mustn’t fall for pricey products that are ostentatious and have less or no utility.
If you are allergic to certain ingredients, you must be very careful during the selection of a pregnancy-safe shampoo. You need to find out whether any of the ingredients present in a particular product can trigger an allergic reaction and avoid it completely. You do not want to complicate your pregnancy with an allergy.
It is recommended that you consult your ob-gyn before you switch shampoos during pregnancy. A particular shampoo may seem to be safe to use but it may cause adverse reactions in your body. Ask your doctor whether the pregnancy safe shampoos of your choice will be good for you. He will have the best answer to your problem.
List of Shampoos that are Safe to Use During Pregnancy
Top 10 Pregnancy Safe Shampoos Reviewed
1. Whamisa Organic Seeds Sub-Acid Hair Shampoo:
Having an oily scalp is always irritating and it can lead to different hair problems and you will be left with greasiness, clogged pores, dirty hair, etc. In case you are tired of all these and wish to have nice and smooth hair, then it’s time that you switch to this particular organic shampoo from Whamisa. This formula is great for your hair and scalp too. More importantly, the ingredients used are not at all harmful to your hair, rather they work together to help you get nice, shiny, frizz-free hair which makes it one of the best safe shampoos during pregnancy. This shampoo keeps your scalp free from dead skin cells and controls excess sebum as well. This all-organic, sulfate-free shampoo can be a great addition to your hair products for sure. Moreover, it can nourish your hair and keep your scalp hydrated too. Due to the presence of ingredients like soybean and oats, you do not have to use any conditioner after you wash your hair as well.
- pH balanced formula that keeps your scalp and hair healthy.
- Comes with an herbal scent.
- Moisturizes your hair and condition your scalp.
- Makes your hair soft and shiny.
- Cleaning and rinsing your hair is super easy after every wash.
- No silicone, preservative, artificial fragrances, or paraben products included. So, safe shampoo for pregnancy.
- Good for oily hair.
- Does not work if you have hair loss problems.
- Might not work with dry hair.
- Bit expensive compared to other products in the same category.
- You cannot expect a long-lasting result even with regular use.
2. Hair Shampoo – With Organic & Natural Ingredients:
Are you tired of using chemically formulated shampoo? Looking to buy a natural shampoo that will not only make your hair clean but will also be a safe shampoo during pregnancy? Well, then it’s time that you switch to Christina Moss hair shampoo. It contains olive oil, sunflower oil, and most importantly coconut oil which can be soothing to your scalp.
If you love your shampoo to create foam, it’s the best choice that you can make. It helps your hair to add volume and makes them shine as well. Being hypoallergenic in nature, it’s a perfect product to go with and due to the fact that it does not contain any sulfate or paraben products, anyone with sensitive skin can choose this safe shampoo for pregnancy.
- No harmful chemicals to damage your scalp or hair.
- Contains shea butter, olive oil, aloe vera, and coconut oil that nourishes your hair.
- Can be used for all types of hair and even for sensitive skin as well.
- It’s formulated with all vegan ingredients.
- Cleans your scalp, makes your hair shiny and soft.
- Helps in hair growth.
- Can be used for color-treated hair as well.
- No sulfate or paraben products included.
- You need to buy a separate conditioner to go with this shampoo.
- Price tag is a bit high.
3. BIGGREEN Pregnancy Shampoo – Big Green Natural Ingredients:
Whenever you think about buying a pregnancy safe shampoo, you must think about zero chemical shampoo for sure. This is exactly why this particular shampoo from BIGGREEN should find a place in the bathroom cabinet. It’s an all-natural product, does not contain any harsh chemical, and most importantly contains fruit extracts, aloe vera which keeps your scalp and hair healthy. Its formulated especially for pregnant women and contains different essential oils to nourish your hair and keep the dirt away from your scalp. It does not damage your hair at all and is free from paraben and other chemicals can be used by people with sensitive skin as well. Basically irrespective of scalp and hair type, you can use this shampoo without worrying about your health.
- Essential oils are one of the important ingredients.
- Refreshing herbal scent.
- Vegan ingredients used to formulate this shampoo.
- Can be used by those having sensitive skin.
- No irritation or itchiness.
- No sulfate or paraben products included.
- Makes your hair healthy and strong and adds volume as well.
- Needs a conditioner for effective results.
4. Aveeno Active Naturals Pure Renewal Shampoo:
It’s pretty much natural for a lady to use different shampoos for the benefits that your hair might get. But in case you are looking for an alternative to your shampoo which will be enriched in all-natural ingredients and most importantly healthy to your hair, then it’s time that you switch to this particular hair formula which will make sure that you have a healthy, soft and shiny hair. The formula is equipped to remove all impurities from your hair and cleanse your scalp with the precise measurements. From choosing quality ingredients to making an effective formula Aveeno has done exceptional work to make it the best shampoo safe for pregnancy. With regular use, you can certainly expect to get back your long, shiny, and healthy hair back.
- Does not contain any sulfate products or parabens.
- Non-damaging to your hair.
- Mild formula to treat your hair gently.
- Cleanses your scalp efficiently.
- If you love foamy shampoo this one is definitely in that category.
- Affordable price range.
- Does not come with the chemical scent that can be irritating at times.
- All-natural ingredients used.
- Keeps your hair and scalp moisture level optimal.
- Might make your hair tangled a bit.
- You might experience having dry flakes.
- May not hydrate your hair the way you would like it to be.
5. Free & Clear Hair Shampoo | Fragrance, Gluten, and Sulfate Free:
If you are looking to buy a shampoo that is free from gluten, chemical fragrance, and sulfate products, then it’s time that you switch to this pregnancy safe shampoo and conditioner from Free & Clear shampoo. It does not contain any of the chemical compounds that might harm your hair or cause itchiness or irritation. It cleans up all the impurities in your hair and makes sure that you have a nice and healthy scalp as well. This formula is also capable of reducing flakes in your scalp. Moreover, it can be used by anyone with any type of hair and even with sensitive scalp skin as well.
- One of the best quality tearless shampoos s that you can buy.
- PH balanced formula.
- Keeps your scalp dirt and oil-free.
- Reduces scaling and flaking with regular use.
- It’s an effective mild formula.
- Contains no chemical product to harm your hair.
- No phosphate, sulfate, or gluten products.
- Might make your hair dry a bit.
- Might not be suitable for color-treated hair.
6. Klorane ultra-gentle shampoo with oat milk:
Oat milk is well known for its soothing, moisturizing, and protective properties. Klorane brings to you an oat milk formula that not only keeps your hair clean but also maintains its natural balance as well. The presence of oat milk is an important ingredient that makes it one of the best choices that you can make. It makes your hair light and soft and keeps your scalp healthy as well. It does not contain any of the harsh chemical compounds that will cause harm to your scalp or increase build up in your hair. This all-natural shampoo safe for pregnancy is certainly worth a try.
- Does not contain paraben, silicone, or SLS products.
- Can be used for all types of hair.
- Its organic formula to suit even sensitive skin as well.
- Gently works on your scalp and hair and provides a soft and shiny effect.
- High-quality vegan product.
- Can be used by children as well.
- Oat milk offers a soothing effect on your hair and protects them as well.
- Keeps the natural oil balances with regular use.
- Smells bad.
- Does not lather much.
- Might make your hair dry.
7. BYRD Purifying Shampoo with Red Algae, Green Tea, Aloe Vera:
BYRD brings to you one of the best quality natural pregnancy safe shampoo with aloe vera, green tea, and red algae extract. This all-natural formula is best suited as a shampoo during pregnancy, especially because of the fact that it does not contain any sulfate products. It’s formulated to repair damaged hair and clean your clogged scalp pores efficiently. It comes with a nice moisturizing effect that can be really good for everyone. It leaves your hair smooth, silky, and soft after every wash. It does not have any allergic effects on your scalp.
- Protects and moisturizes your hair.
- Clean your scalp efficiently.
- Prevent from getting split ends and reduces breakage.
- Sulfate-free shampoo is safe for pregnancy.
- Makes your hair silky, smooth, and soft.
- Nice natural coconut fragrance.
- Nice foamy formula.
- Might leave your scalp a bit irritated.
8. Brooklin Botany Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo:
Argan oil is known for its great quality and effectiveness against dandruff and dry scalp. This formula does not contain any sulfate product; instead, it contains 100 % organic and natural ingredients. The actual ingredient Moroccan argan oil is blended with other essential oils and which works in destroying your dandruff. Not only is it shampoo safe for pregnancy, but it is also made to give you shiny, strong, and healthy hair.
- Lathers up well.
- Quality anti-dandruff shampoo.
- It contains organic products, and more importantly, it contains essential oils to nourish your hair.
- Might make your scalp and hair a bit drier than it should be.
9. Puriya Sulfate-Free Scalp Clarifying Shampoo with Tea Tree Oil:
Are you looking to buy an all-natural shampoo safe for pregnancy that will effectively clean your hair and keep your scalp healthy? Well, then it’s time for you to try out this shampoo from Puriya. In case you have an itchy scalp, this shampoo can be helpful too. With the ingredients like Rosemary, tea tree oil, etc, you can certainly trust it to be healthy for your hair. With regular use you can easily reduce flaking on your scalp and in turn, it will reduce hair fall as well. Apart from that this shampoo can be a good addition to your bathroom cabinet due to the face that, it can also be used as an anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Contains all-natural ingredients.
- Does not include any harsh chemical like paraben, sulfate, etc.
- Does not contain any synthetic fragrance.
- Gentle and PH balanced formula.
- Can be used on sensitive skin as well.
- Effective on any type of hair.
- Makes your healthy in no time at all.
- Smells really bad.
10. PURA D’OR Hair Thinning Therapy Biotin Shampoo VANILLA LAVENDER Scent:
If you are having trouble with dandruff and wish to use a sulfate-free shampoo, then you can certainly try out the Pura D’or shampoo with lavender scent. This is a formula that stays ahead of its competitions in the market due to its quality hair treatment value and therapeutic quality. It also includes aloe vera extract which makes your hair moisturized and keeps your scalp dandruff and dirt free. This formula is safe to use on regular basis and because of the fact that it does not contain any harsh chemicals, people having sensitive skin can opt to use this shampoo as well. With proper conditioning, you can have a nice looking, fresh hair. Apart from that, the ingredients are all organic which makes it the best shampoo for pregnancy. And when you add to the fact that it comes at a comparatively lower price, you can certainly opt for this shampoo.
- Removes excess oil and dirt from the scalp.
- Lathers enough and quickly.
- Hypoallergenic in nature.
- Contains natural ingredients.
- Might not be effective for all types of hair.
Pregnancy safe shampoos are no fad and you need to ignore anyone who says otherwise. Your to-be born needs all the safety that you can provide, and as a mother, there’s nothing that’s too careful. Taking a risk when you and your baby are vulnerable isn’t a wise choice. Moreover, your hair needs all the care during this time to ward off the negative effects of hormonal changes. So, choose a good and safe shampoo for pregnancy and you will have no regrets.
You May Also Like to Read: