People with dreadlocks are always searching for the best shampoo for dreadlocks to take good care of their dreadlocks. You must be wondering how to keep dreadlocks clean, aren’t you? There is a popular myth that people with dreadlocks are inherently unhygienic and dirty. This is, in every possibility, untrue. If taken care of properly, dreadlocks can be just as well-maintained as normal hair. The below listed the best shampoo for dreadlocks will help you take care of your locks in the best possible way.
Have you ever been utterly surprised to see a person having a headful of braided or knotted hair? The origin of dreadlocks dates back to ancient times. People used to knot or braid their hair and refrain from combing it. They believed that if a person does so, he can preserve his supreme energy. In this way, they can leave a healthier life.
Whenever we think of hair care products, the first product that pops up in our head is shampoo. The shampoo helps to ash all the dirt off the hair. However, hair with locks requires special care shampoo. In this article, I have reviewed the best shampoo for dreads. A sulfate-free shampoo for dreads will keep locks smooth, moisturized, and clean. Read on to know about the top shampoos which will make your dreadlocks manageable like never before!
- List of Best Shampoo for Dreadlock
- Best Shampoo for Dreadlocks to Use Everyday
- 1. Knotty Boy 16oz Dreadlock Shampoo:
- 2. Dollylocks 8oz Nag Champa Liquid Dreadlock Shampoo:
- 3. Knatty Dread Locks Shampoo:
- 4. Dread Soap 64 Oz For Dreadlocks Shampoo:
- 5. Design Essentials Henna & Oat Protein Cleansing Shampoo:
- 6. Dollylocks Tea Tree Liquid Spearmint Dreadlock Shampoo:
- 7. Dreadlock Shampoo from Knotty Boy:
- 8. Jamaican Lime & Mango Tingle Shampoo With Protein Conditioner:
- Factors to Consider Before Buying a Dread Shampoo
- Why Should One Use Shampoo for Locs
- Frequently Asked Questions (Faqs)
List of Best Shampoo for Dreadlock
Best Shampoo for Dreadlocks to Use Everyday
The quest for the best shampoo for dreads is never-ending. However, through this article, I will help you narrow down your choice by reviewing the top shampoos that are listed in the list of freeform for best dreads shampoo. Read on to find out:
1. Knotty Boy 16oz Dreadlock Shampoo:
Are you suffering from an itchy scalp? Does your hair look undernourished? Imagine a shampoo that is filled with the goodness of vegetable oils! One of the greatest benefits Knotty Boy for Dreadlock Shampoos will offer is that once you start using it, you will feel your locks tightening sooner. This is because the Shampoo doesn’t use any chemicals that can inhibit the tightening process
You can also get rid of flakes and itches that keep occurring from time to time. The richness of the ingredients used in this shampoo will nourish your dreadlocks and your scalp. It imparts a healthy and nourished look to your hair. It is also known for its mild peppermint aroma. Users have said that it leaves a cool and freshening effect for a long time. This is said to be the best shampoo for synthetic dreads.
- The product is made of 100% natural ingredients.
- Your scalp will no longer feel itchy.
- There are no chemicals used.
- It has no side effects on the skin.
- It is difficult to lather the interior twists of the dreadlock with this shampoo.
2. Dollylocks 8oz Nag Champa Liquid Dreadlock Shampoo:
People with dreadlocks are often seen complaining that it gets difficult to rinse the shampoo completely off their scalp. Chemical shampoos cause a lot of damage to the hair as well as the scalp. Have you ever imagined the goodness of Nag Champa in your shampoo? This Liquid Shampoo is filled with the richness of all botanical ingredients. Once you start using this shampoo for your loc, you will realize that the shampoo deep-cleanses your hair without leaving behind any residue on your scalp.
You will start feeling the difference right from the first wash! The coconut oil extract nourishes your hair, and the nag champa extract imparts a beautiful fragrance. The composition is thus that it keeps the shampoo light. Feel your dreadlocks lighter than ever before with the very first wash using this Liquid Shampoo.
- All the ingredients used in this dreadlocks shampoo are extracted from nature.
- It does not leave any residue on the scalp or hair.
- It has a sweet aroma of nag champa flowers.
- It is available in bottles of varying sizes.
- Some people complain that the shampoo makes the hair smooth, something that is undesirable for the tightening of dreadlocks.
3. Knatty Dread Locks Shampoo:
The very first thing to note about this dread shampoo is that it is residue-free. Ever wondered why dreadlocks grow thicker over time? The accumulation of a thin layer of oil and all the ingredients that shampoos leave behind are cause dreadlocks to thicken over time. If your dreadlocks are new and you are not sure about which shampoo to buy, this Knatty DreadLocks Shampoo is an ideal choice for you.
Many shampoos in the market claim to be residue-free but tend to leave a thin layer that builds up over time. There are no saponified oils; all the ingredients used in this shampoo are natural. Another remarkable feature of this shampoo is that it doesn’t have any added smell. Once you have washed your dreadlocks with this shampoo, your hair will smell clean and fresh. Therefore, this is the best shampoo for dreads that are brand new!
- This product promotes the growth of new dreadlocks.
- It is made of natural ingredients.
- The coconut extract used to make this shampoo helps in nourishing the hair.
- If you wash your hair with this shampoo, it doesn’t take long to dry.
- Ingredients are not listed on the label.
- May not be suitable for dry hair.
4. Dread Soap 64 Oz For Dreadlocks Shampoo:
Break the myth that dreads are unclean with the best Dread Soap For Dreadlocks shampoo. The wrong choice of shampoo for dreadlocks can cause your locks to turn greasy. If your shampoo has a lubricating substance, there might be chances that your hair is becoming slippery, and your dreadlocks are not tightening as they should.
This Dread Soap 64 Oz product does not contain saponified oils or any other ingredients that can lubricate your hair. It also doesn’t contain ingredients that can give vent to allergic reactions on the scalp. It will keep your hair so light and oil-free that your locks will tighten and bind faster. This shampoo also doesn’t leave behind any strong odor like the fragrance of flowers or a fruity tinge and so on. This is believed to be the best shampoo for dreads and dandruff.
- This shampoo is 100% vegan-friendly.
- It deep-cleans your scalp and moisturizes your locks.
- Herbs and other added natural ingredients keep the scalp free from patches and itchiness.
- Your dreads dry faster if you wash them using this shampoo.
- The packaging is kept minimal to reduce unnecessary waste generation.
- Some people find this product to be very expensive.
5. Design Essentials Henna & Oat Protein Cleansing Shampoo:
Does your hair not have enough volume? Do you wish to have thicker dreadlocks? It is now easier to have thicker and more voluptuous hair with this Deep Cleansing Shampoo. This is the best shampoo for locs that has the goodness of natural ingredients infused into it. You will see the growth of new hair in no time!
The natural ingredients of the dreads shampoo moisturize your hair from roots to tips. It also nourishes your scalp and helps you to get rid of itchy flakes. As soon as you start using this shampoo, your locks will start having a shinier and fuller look. Managing your unmanageable dreadlocks has never been easier before. You will not feel like you have to carry a burden around all the time!
- This deep-cleansing shampoo will give your hair a fuller and bouncier look.
- Although it deep-cleanses your hair, it doesn’t steal the natural oils from your hair or make it look dry.
- The natural ingredients used in the shampoo help to make your hair supple and smooth.
- Once you use this shampoo, your hair will become easy to manage and detangle.
- Some customers opine that it doesn’t lather well.
6. Dollylocks Tea Tree Liquid Spearmint Dreadlock Shampoo:
The better your scalp is nourished and stimulated, the better and more improved will be your hair growth. Give your hair and scalp the richness of botanical ingredients. As it is infused with the benefits of tea tree oil, this shampoo is highly beneficial for your dreadlocks. It deep cleans your hair and doesn’t leave behind any residue. Your hair will feel light and nourished. This shampoo has no distinct odor.
Once you wash your locks with this shampoo, it will leave your hair squeaky-clean and fresh-smelling! The ph-balance of this shampoo is also well taken care of so that it doesn’t dry out your scalp! With the enormous benefits it has on your hair, this is undoubtedly the best shampoo for locks that is available on amazon at an affordable rate.
- It is light and does not leave behind any residue.
- It is made of all organic and natural ingredients.
- The shampoo does not cause any allergic reactions on the skin or scalp.
- The shampoo doesn’t lather; therefore, some users have complained that this shampoo doesn’t clean well even after three washes.
7. Dreadlock Shampoo from Knotty Boy:
Almost everyone knows that grease, oil, conditioner, or any other kind of lubricant can hinder the process of binding and tightening of the dreadlocks. Made with the extracts of tea tree, a rosemary plant, and other essential oils, this dreadlock shampoo bar will rejuvenate your hair and deep-cleanse your hair. These DreadLocks Shampoos will not only help you keep your air clean, but will also help you to get rid of dandruff and flakes that scrape out of your scalp.
The ingredients used in the shampoo have a refreshing effect on your hair follicle. They stimulate the scalp and lead to the growth of new hair. After you are done washing your locks with this shampoo, your hair will feel lighter. It doesn’t leave behind any residue and washes away all the dirt and dandruff with great ease! In your pursuit of the best shampoo for dreadlocks, this shampoo is a must-try.
- Your hair quality will improve considerably.
- Less itchy scalp is guaranteed.
- No chemicals are used in the making of this shampoo.
- It doesn’t leave behind any residue.
- It can also be used as a body wash.
- It does not contain any conditioning agent that will lubricate your hair and hinder the process of dread-formation.
- Lesser foam formation causes people to get confused if the shampoo is working effectively.
8. Jamaican Lime & Mango Tingle Shampoo With Protein Conditioner:
Are you worried about losing a lot of hair? Is your hair prone to breakage ever since you tied your strands into knots? Presenting Jamaican Tingle Shampoo to the rescue! This shampoo will help you reduce your hair breakage problem; the protein-infused shampoo makes your locks stronger and healthier. Lime juice is a great remedy that used to treat dandruff.
As the name suggests, the lime extract in this product provides relief from itchiness that is caused due to dandruff and patchy scalp. Although the name states “Conditioner”, the product does not lubricate the hair that can cause the dreads to loosen up. Due to the enormous number of benefits it offers, this product has made its way into the list of the best shampoo for dreadlocks.
- The natural ingredients make it one of the best shampoos for locks.
- It leaves behind no residue.
- The protein helps in the strengthening and tightening of the locks.
- The packaging is poor; the contents tend to leak.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Dread Shampoo
No sugar-coating, dreadlocks are difficult to manage. Here are a few factors that one needs to take into consideration before opting for a dread shampoo:
The Shampoo Should Leave No Residue:
Dreadlocks tend to absorb everything- be it dirt, oil, or shampoo fragrance. Some dread shampoos are stubborn. They leave traces of oil and grease even after rinsing the hair thoroughly. This is harmful to the dreadlocks as it leads to the risk of developing a condition known as dread rot. Therefore, I advise each and everyone to check the ingredients used in the making of the shampoo and be sure that it doesn’t leave behind residue.
Choose Sulfate-Free Shampoos:
Sulfates are known to cause considerable damage to the hair. It steals the moisture and protein from the inner layers of the dreadlocks. This strips the nourishment of the hair and causes it to turn rough, brittle, and whatnot! So, Sulfate-free shampoo for locks is the best option.
Let not the pretty packaging of shampoos befool you. Don’t be swept off your feet by false commitments made by big brands. Invest a lot of time in research before you come to a decision. The best shampoo for dreads is light on your locks and nourishes both your hair as well as scalp. The best shampoo will also help you to get rid of itchy patches and other irritable sensations in your scalp. Your locks are precious; make sure you make the right choice!
Why Should One Use Shampoo for Locs
Dreadlocks tend to attract everything starting from dust, debris, oil, and other kinds of residue. If they are kept unnoticed for a long time, your dreadlocks tend to turn stale. Do you know what the most dreadful thing about having dreadlocks is? Dread rots! It is a condition in which the locks, which have not been cleaned in a long time, acquire the growth of mold
A popular myth prevails that dreadlocks are meant to be dirty. It’s high time to ditch the age-old conventions. Dreadlocks need to be cleaned from time to time. The shampoo doesn’t loosen the knots, but at the same time, cleans your hair thoroughly. Clean dreadlocks are a pleasure to own!
As you have read above, different shampoos are made up of different ingredients, each of which has a certain positive effect on the locks. Washing your dreadlocks with shampoo once in a while also ensures that your hair remains smooth and nourished. Certain ingredients also stimulate the scalp, which, in turn, helps to promote hair growth. If you choose the best shampoo for dreadlocks, you will see your dreadlocks tightening gradually.
Frequently Asked Questions (Faqs)
Q: When Should I Start Shampooing My Hair After Braiding My Hair Into Dreads?
Ans: After you have made your hair into dreadlocks, it is ideal not to shampoo your hair for the first four weeks. Let your locks set in place. Shampooing your dreadlocks immediately after setting them up can cause the knots to loosen. If you feel that your locks are getting dirty, simply wash them with water.
Q: What Kind Of Shampoo Should Be Used For Dreadlocks?
Ans: Try to stick to a chemical-free shampoo. Look for one that uses natural ingredients. Also, make sure that the shampoos you are planning to use for your dreadlocks do not leave behind any residue.
Q: Can Shampoo Help To Tighten Dreadlocks?
Ans: Yes, some shampoos do help to tighten your dreadlocks. Always make sure that the shampoo you are using in your locks is not lubricating your hair.
Q: How Often Should I Shampoo My Dreadlocks?
Ans: If you have a very active lifestyle and you tend to sweat a lot, then you can shampoo your dreadlocks every two days. If not, consider washing your dreads once or twice every week.
I hope this gives you a detailed guide on how to take care of your dreadlocks. Choose the right shampoo and flaunt your dreads in style!
You May Also Like to Read: