There are many reasons for someone to decide to use a conditioner product that is different from their shampoo brand or selection. We can do it when we run out of conditioner, have interest in another conditioner, or have some special needs for hair care.
But, can I use different shampoo with different conditioner and still keep my hair healthy? We will show you when it is OK to do that during this article and when it is not!
Can I Use Different Shampoo with Different Conditioners?
Yes, you can use different shampoos with different conditioners and achieve the best results. It is not too necessary to use shampoo with different conditioners because these two products are made for different parts of the hair.
The shampoo is made to clean your scalp, the root of your hair, the oil and dirt from the hair. On the other hand, conditioner is not created for cleaning but for repairing and nurturing the hair, especially the middle and the end of your hair.
As these two products are made for different hair parts and purposes, they do not treat the same problems, so they might not always complement each other.
You can have an oily scalp but broken or damaged hair, for example, using the same type of shampoo and conditioner for dry hair is not the best idea.
In this case, it is advisable to use a clarifying shampoo as it can control oily scalp and help with hair damaged by chemicals. The one disadvantage of this shampoo is that it can make your hair drier.
For better results, you should use a repairing conditioner with active agents that can treat dry and afterward.
However, we do not suggest you always use different products or match them in all cases. Depending on your hair types, issues, and needs, you can use the same or different shampoo and conditioners for ultimate results.
Using Shampoo and Conditioner from the Same Brand and Different Brands – Pros and Cons
Pros and Cons of Using Shampoo and Conditioner from the Same Brand
- Hair products from the same brands are packed with active ingredients that will work well with each other. If your hair root, hair shelf, and hair ends have the same condition like dry, oily, damaged, using the same products from the same brands or collections will help you to solve the issues better.
- When using shampoo and conditioner from the same brand, your hair can absorb the nurturing and treatment ingredients better.
- Another good reason for picking products from the same brands is that your hair will smell better. Some people do not like their hair to have a different smell from different products.
- If you have been using shampoo and conditioner from one brand, keeping on using them will reduce the chances of getting irritation, itching, or temporary hair loss.
- Shampoo and conditioner from the same selection or brand are normally made to treat one issue of your hair. When your scalp and hair have different issues, using them together will not bring you the best results.
Pros and Cons of Using Shampoo and Conditioner from Different Brands
- When using shampoo and conditioner from different brands, it is more flexible in picking the products that will give your hair the best health.
Instead of choosing both conditioner and shampoo that were made to treat the same issues, you should search for the best shampoo for your head skin and the most suitable conditioner for the hair end.
For example, if you have a dry scalp and damaged hair shaft, you can search for the best shampoo for your scalp from one brand and pick another condition for damaged and broken hair.
By mixing these two products, your hair will be more likely to get the best look.
- Another undeniable advantage of using different shampoo and conditioner is that it is easier for you. Let’s say you run out of conditioner, and the convenience store you go to does not offer the one in the same brand as your shampoo.
- Instead of trying to go to more stores to pick that one conditioner, you can now grab another conditioner from some other brand that suits your hair condition.
- Sometimes, different shampoo and conditioner smell does not work so well when you use them together. However, we do not think this is a really big problem for most people.
- If you need to focus on treating one hair problem, using different shampoo and conditioner might not be as effective as using the ones in the same brand.
- Some people feel irritation or hair loss after changing their conditioner or using shampoo and conditioner in two brands.
Should I Mix or Match Shampoo and Conditioner?
No answer suits all cases for this question. For the ultimate hair care, you need to pay attention to your hair health in general. If you want to get the best results, pay attention to your scalp and hair issues separately.
The only time you should not mix and match shampoo and conditioner is when you are using treatment shampoo. When you mix and match them, the products will become less effective.
There are many types of shampoo and conditioner like dandruff treating, moisturizing, cleansing, volumizing, moisturizing, recovering, etc.
If your hair is generally healthy, it is better to use the same shampoo and conditioner to limit the irritation.
But if you notice that both your scalp and hair body have different problems like oil scalp and damaged hair, do not hesitate to pick these products in different brands.
Tip: Pay Attention to the Ingredient List
Normally, shampoo is made from ammonium chloride, glycol, citric acid, panthenol, or even sulfate. Most people will have no problem with these common ingredients, but some feel irritation, hair loss, or other hair issues with one of these ingredients.
To avoid hair damage, hair loss, irritation, itching, and dandruff forming, pay attention to the ingredient list before buying hair care products, especially when you have sensitive hair skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it OK to skip the shampoo and wash my hair only with conditioner?
No, it would be best if you did not skip the shampoo. The shampoo is packed with cleaning agents, so it can easily wash the oil, sweat, grease, dirt, and dead scalp cells.
Conditioners cannot replace shampoo because they do not have cleaning agents. They only have to nurture and repair agents.
So, when you skip the shampoo and only use conditioner, your hair will still be dirty after washing. Doing this can cause hair loss and many other hair issues.
Should I skip the conditioner and only use shampoo?
You can do that if you only need to wash your hair and clean it. However, we recommend using both shampoo and conditioner for the best hair condition.
I have hair loss and irritation since I used different shampoo and conditioner. Should I change products?
Yes, you should change the products. If you did not have the same issues before mixing them, then the new product you recently used can be the cause.
Before buying a new one, take some time to check the ingredient list and compare it to the previous products that did not give you these problems.
After spotting some ingredients that can cause your irritation, avoid the products that have the same ingredients in the future.
Can I use different shampoo with a different conditioner? We hope you can now pick the hair care products that suit you the most by the time we end this article.
Remember that even though it can be fine or even great to use shampoo and conditioner from different brands for many people, you still need to pay attention to your hair’s issues, condition, and needs.
By carefully choosing the right products, you are more likely to pick the one that works best for you.
- 1 Can I Use Different Shampoo with Different Conditioners?
- 2 Using Shampoo and Conditioner from the Same Brand and Different Brands – Pros and Cons
- 3 Should I Mix or Match Shampoo and Conditioner?
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Final Thoughts