There are many creative mixing and matching in the hair realm. A notable one is the mix of shampoo and hair dye. If you have never tried it yourself, you might be curious about whether you can mix shampoo with hair dye. Would it still work? Would there be effects on the hair?
Keep reading this article on “Can you mix shampoo with hair dye?” to find the answer!
Can You Mix Shampoo With Hair Dye?
Yes, you can mix shampoo with hair dye. Many people have done this for two different reasons:
- To prolong the color of already dyed hair
- To get a new color into the hair.
But why? We will elaborate on the two reasons below! And, we will walk you through the process of mixing shampoo with hair dye. So. continue reading!
Why Would You Mix Shampoo With Hair Dye?
To prolong the color of already dyed hair
You can mix shampoo with hair dye when you want to prolong the color of your already dyed hair. The mixture adds more color molecules to the hair. As a result, it can help you space out the time until you have to revisit the salon and dye your hair again.
In addition, it can improve the dullness of light hair, similar to decolorizing shampoos, such as purple shampoo, red shampoo, blue shampoo, etc.
However, it cannot prevent your dyed hair from fading and your roots from growing and displaying your natural tones.
To get a new color into the hair
You can also mix shampoo with hair dye when you want to get a new color in your hair. More specifically, you will need to combine it with semi-permanent hair dye.
If you try it with permanent hair dye, the color will not be even, and instead, appear patchy because there is no developer that provides a bond with the hair.
This works for streaks and highlights on light or dark hair. But as said above, the effects are only temporary, and the color will eventually fade.
How To Mix Shampoo With Hair Dye?
To extend the color of already dyed hair
These are the materials you will need:
- Hair Dye
Here are the steps to follow:
- Dampen your hair.
- Divide your wet hair into sections.
- Add an equal part of hair dye into your shampoo bottle.
- Cap the shampoo bottle.
- Shake vigorously. Make sure the shampoo and hair dye are well-combined.
- Do a strand test. Leave the shampoo and hair dye mixture on a small portion of your strands for ~10 minutes. If there are no negative reactions, you are good to proceed!
- Apply the mixture to your hair one section at a time and be sure to check that it is spread evenly.
- Lather the mixture and work it into your hair.
- Allow 10 to 30 minutes for the product to work its magic.
- Rinse the mixture off with cool water. One way to check whether your rinsing is thorough enough is to see if the water is running clear.
- Complete with a deep conditioner. You can also use a hair mask. But if you do, be sure that it is color-safe.
To get a new color into the hair
Prepare the following materials:
- Hair Dye
- Disposable Gloves
After gathering the necessary materials, follow these steps:
- Wet your hair with water.
- Divide your hair into sections.
- Put on your disposable gloves. They are meant to guard your hands and prevent the chance of staining.
- Squeeze equal parts of shampoo and hair dye onto your hands.
- Combine them in your hands and ensure they are well-combined. Otherwise, you will get uneven coloring.
- Do a strand test. Leave the shampoo and hair dye mixture on your strands for 10 minutes. As long as there are no negative reactions, you can continue.
- Apply the product section-by-section. In doing so, make sure that the product is spread evenly.
- Massage your head until the product lathers.
- Leave the product to sit for about 10-30 minutes, depending on how intense you want to color to be.
- Rinse the product off with cool water. Do this until the water runs clear.
- Take off the gloves and discard them properly.
- Follow up with a deep conditioner as usual. You can also use a color-protecting hair mask to impart vitamins and nutrients to pamper your hair.
Note: You can also prepare the shampoo and hair dye mix in a bowl. Add them in a 1 to 1 ratio and combine with a spoon or stirrer.
Note: You should only use a shampoo plus hair dye mixture once or twice a week.
Which Type of Shampoo Should I Mix with Hair Dye?
Shampoos are not made equal. Hence, it is very important that you make your selection carefully.
#1: Choose a colorless shampoo
Your shampoo should be no color. This allows the hair color to blend properly. It will also make it easier for you to control and observe what to expect.
#2: Choose a sulfate-free shampoo
Your shampoo should not include any sulfate-based substance, such as sodium laureth sulfate, sodium chloride, and sodium lauryl sulfate.
These will not only ruin your color but also strip away moisture and oils, leaving the hair dry and unhealthy. Moreover, it may dry out the scalp, which then becomes more prone to irritation.
That being said, the best shampoo you can pick up is a color-treated hair shampoo or an all-natural shampoo.
Note: Always spare some time to read the labels on the packaging of the shampoo bottle before settling for one.
Which Type of Hair Dye Should I Mix with Shampoo?
You have two options: semi-permanent hair dye or permanent hair dye.
#1: Semi-permanent dye
Semi-permanent hair dye will blend more easily with the shampoo. But it is critical to note that after shampooing, you will not be able to expect as intense colors as if you were to do it with permanent hair dye.
#2: Permanent dye
If you decide to use permanent hair dye, then make sure it is the type that can be used without a developer, as permanent hair dyes that require a developer will not blend well with the shampoo.
The hair dye will bond unevenly to your hair, and the result will not be pretty — just spots or patches of color all over your hair! In this case, you would need to look for a solution to correct it.
Can Mixing Hair Dye With Shampoo Reduce Hair Damage?
If you want to mix shampoo with hair dye just to avoid damaging your hair, you will be disappointed.
Regardless of whether you mix the dye with shampoo, chemical ingredients are needed to process the change of your hair’s natural pigment, and your hair will have to endure some damage.
Can I Use Shampoo with Hair Dye Every Wash?
We do not recommend it. Why? Well, you should remember that both the shampoo and hair dye contain chemicals, and each time you wash with this combination, you will be exposing your hair to a number of chemicals.
The harsh chemicals will damage your hair. Therefore, it is not safe to use this shampoo and hair dye combination every time you hit the showers. It is best to do this every two weeks if you want to extend the color of your hair.
Are There Risks When I Mix Shampoo with Hair Dye?
Unfortunately, there are definitely risks.
It is possible that the chemicals in your shampoo react negatively to the chemicals in your hair dye. This is why we mentioned earlier that you need to do a test of the mix on a few strands of hair first.
If you observe a negative reaction within 10 minutes, then you should not go through with it. A strong sign of a negative reaction is if there is a reddish color.
Applying the mixture yourself is also risky. There is always a chance that you do not coat all your hair strands completely, and as we said above, you would be left with uneven colored hair.
Plus, if you do not get the ratio of shampoo and hair dye correctly, you may get an awful color. You should experiment with the ratio of shampoo and hair dye to ensure you have the right one. If you are not confident, seek help from professionals.
So, in conclusion, the answer to, “Can you mix shampoo with hair dye?” is yes.
You can use this combination when you want to refresh or extend the color of your dyed hair or when you want to have a new color into your hair as streaks or highlights.
If you choose to attempt this mixing method after reading this article, please share your experience with us and other readers in the comments!
- 1 Can You Mix Shampoo With Hair Dye?
- 2 Why Would You Mix Shampoo With Hair Dye?
- 3 How To Mix Shampoo With Hair Dye?
- 4 Which Type of Shampoo Should I Mix with Hair Dye?
- 5 Which Type of Hair Dye Should I Mix with Shampoo?
- 6 Can Mixing Hair Dye With Shampoo Reduce Hair Damage?
- 7 Can I Use Shampoo with Hair Dye Every Wash?
- 8 Are There Risks When I Mix Shampoo with Hair Dye?
- 9 Conclusion