With the ongoing pandemic right now and how expensive it is to get your hair treated in a salon, it definitely is a good idea to try out an alternative method for coloring your hair.
There are actually plenty of ways for you to lighten your hair color naturally. This includes using baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, apple cider vinegar, chamomile, or even the sun. However, one of the most affordable, safe, and effective methods to turn brunette hair into blonde is to use lemon. Lemon essential oil contains citric acid that acts as a natural bleach.
In this article, we will teach you how to use lemon essential oil to turn brunette hair into blonde. We have also included a step-by-step guide to make things easier for you.
Benefits of Using Lemon Essential Oil for your Hair
Aside from lightening the color of your hair naturally, lemon essential oils have other benefits as well. Here are the benefits you can get from lemon essential oils:
- Balances Out the Natural Oil of Your Hair
- Improves Your Scalp Health
- Exfoliates Dead Skin Cells
- Speedier Healing
- Promotes Hair Growth
- Treats Seborrheic Dermatitis
How Many Drops of Lemon Essential Oil is Needed to Turn Brunette Hair into Blonde?
You will need around 20 drops of lemon essential oil to turn brunette hair to blonde. To know the process of how to apply it, continue reading below.
How to Use the Lemon Essential Oil To Lighten Hair?
To use the lemon essential oil for lightening hair, what you will need to do is make a hair spray out of it. Before you can start making the hair spray, make sure that you have all the necessary ingredients, include:
- Lemon juice
- Fractionated Coconut Oil
- Lemon Essential Oil (20 drops to be exact)
- Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- Spray Bottle
Here are the steps on how to mix the perfect hair color-lightening spray:
- Add about 1 tablespoon of fractionated coconut oil to a bowl.
- Add 20 drops of lemon essential oil.
- Add 10 drops of Roman chamomile essential oil.
- Add some lemon juice and water to the mixture.
- Stir the mixture for about 3 minutes, enough for all the ingredients to be mixed well.
- Add the mixture to a spray bottle.
Here are the steps on how apply the mixture:
- Spray the mixture onto your hair as much as needed for it to become saturated. (It doesn’t matter whether your hair is dry or wet)
- Now you will need to stay under the sun for at least an hour. (Make sure that you apply some sunblock before you do to protect your skin)
- After your sunbathing session, you will have to wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner.
- Your hair will be quite dry after step 3 so use a hair mask or deep conditioner to help it regain some moisture.
- Do this the next day to get a lighter result.
- If your skin is very sensitive, you may want to reduce the amount of lemon essential oil drops to around 10.
- You can substitute coconut oil with other beneficial oils like vitamin E, argan, jojoba, sweet almond, olive, lavender or lemongrass oils.
- Avoid using ready-made lemon juice for the mixture because these might already contain additives.
- Add a little conditioner to the mixture to prevent it from drying.
- You can actually replace the lemon essential oil with another type of citrus essential oil but consider adding more lemon juice to the mix.
- The final result will varies from one person to another
Is it Safe to Use Lemon Essential Oil for Lightening Your Hair?
Although lemon essential oil is a natural and cost-effective way to lighten your hair, there are still some risks to using it.
Lemon is acidic and may cause some damage if not properly used. So if you are sensitive, you must reduce the amount of lemon juice. For example, from 20 drops to 10 drops
One of the potential risks of lemon essential oil as a hair lightener is that it might dry out your scalp and hair, which will cause your hair to become frizzy. Breakage of your hair and irritation of the scalp is also possible upon using lemon essential oil as a hair lightener.
So consider the health of your hair to have an appropriate hair cycle. For example 2 times/week
Tips on How to Avoid the Negative Side-Effects
To avoid the potential side-effects of applying a lemon essential oil to your hair, you can do some of the following:
Do a Patch Test
Apply a small amount of lemon juice to a part of your body that is inconspicuous. After a few minutes, if nothing happens, you should use the lemon essential oil without any problems.
Apply Some Sunblock
Lemons will make your skin sensitive to UV rays. Thus you should apply some sunblock to skin areas exposed to the sun.
Other Natural Hair Lightener
Aside from using lemon essential oil for lightening your hair, there are a couple of other things you can try on. They are all-natural and considered safer than most hair dye and hair treatment products.
Baking soda is pretty popular when cleaning different things, and it also makes a wonderful hair lightener. All you have to do is simply mix baking soda with water to form a paste-like substance and then apply it to your hair. After a few minutes, you need to rinse off the mixture from your hair. Use a little bit of shampoo and conditioner on your hair and check the result.
This may not be as safe as lemon essential oil but is very effective if you want a lighter result. Apply a little bit of hydrogen peroxide to your hair, wait for a few minutes, then rinse it off. Be wary though, too much hydrogen peroxide could damage your hair or turn it orange.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Applying some apple cider vinegar to your hair regularly will gradually lighten the color because apple cider vinegar has been known to balance out the acidity level of your hair, and it also removes any buildup which is clogging your hair locks. The only problem with apple cider vinegar is that your hair will smell.
Teas can actually be used for either lightening or darkening your hair. Chamomile is considered mild, and so it is used for lightening hair. To apply chamomile to your hair, make a chamomile tea and apply it to dry hair. Expose your hair under the sun for a few minutes to increase the potency of the tea.
This method is safe and easy to use. It is also quite healthy for the hair because chamomile contains some wonderful properties for the hair.
Due to the sun’s extreme heat, it can bleach out and destroy your hair’s melanin, giving you a much lighter hair color. The color of your hair will stay light until it grows back. Other benefits from using this method to lighten your hair include a tan, Vitamin D from the Sun, and a better immune system.
Lemon essential oil is indeed effective when it comes to making your hair color lighter. It also provides wonderful health benefits. You will only need about 20 drops of lemon essential oil to lighten your hair. However, if you have sensitive skin and hair, you can take it down to around 10 drops instead and if you notice adverse side effects, stop using it.
- 1 Benefits of Using Lemon Essential Oil for your Hair
- 2 How Many Drops of Lemon Essential Oil is Needed to Turn Brunette Hair into Blonde?
- 3 How to Use the Lemon Essential Oil To Lighten Hair?
- 4 Is it Safe to Use Lemon Essential Oil for Lightening Your Hair?
- 5 Tips on How to Avoid the Negative Side-Effects
- 6 Other Natural Hair Lightener
- 7 Conclusion