The love for hair and hairstyles runs so deep in people that they had turned to make wigs that make people look better than they are. Wigs offer people the confidence that most people lack in usual. Often, wigs act as a cover-up or even lessen the effort one has to put behind a hairstyle. Even though wigs spell fashion and help you cover up in style, it is something that most people are embarrassed to talk about.
Image Source: allthingshair
It becomes necessary to know how wigs have come into use for people with and without hair. Some people wear it for the style while some people wear it to cover up for less hair. What is a wig? A wig is a hairpiece or a hairstyle made out of natural human hair or synthetic hair and processed to resemble different hair textures and hairstyles.
Why do We Need Shampoos for Wigs?
There can almost be no difference when it comes to the maintenance of wigs and hair. The care for both is almost the same except for a few differences. One of the significant differences between maintaining wigs and a synthetic hair is the use of shampoo. As shampoo differs from hair type to hair type, and in this case, it is quite natural that the type of shampoo one would use on wigs is not the kind one would go for personal use.
This is the unique texture and chemical composition of synthetic hair vastly different from regular human hair. In the earlier days, washing wigs used to be challenging as the shampoo combined with water would result in matted hair on the wigs, loss of hair, and eventually a poor condition of the wig. As technology has progressed, hair quality in wigs has improved, leading to better management of wigs. One can wash the wigs by making sure that the synthetic hair does not undergo damage.
In this article, we shall discover secrets to washing wigs in the most gentle manner possible. This way, we can leave wigs naturally and healthily that they are manufactured in.
What are Synthetic Fibres?
Synthetic fibers are made out of fibers made from old hair or manufactured synthetic material. The synthetic hair gives the wig an appearance of actual hair without feeling like natural hair. Besides, the wigs made out of synthetic hair are comparatively cheaper. Wigs made out of natural hair can cost a fortune as it is challenging to acquire natural human hair of excellent quality. The synthetic hair that is high in quality barely makes any difference between natural hair and synthetic hair.
How to Wash Wigs in the Right Way?
Synthetic hair can pose a challenging task to wash and clean without causing any damage beyond repair. It is not just shampoo and products but a lot of correct procedures to carry out a good wash. Besides, shampooing is no longer the best way to take care of wigs. Washing synthetic wigs require careful manipulation of the wig and the right concoction of products. Shampooing will extend the wig’s life for a few years, but it may cause more damage if the shampoo is not correct. It has been increasingly easy to apply shampoo these days and then uses a hot iron on wigs to style them anew.
- One must shampoo the wig after they have worn it 20 times at least. Take care to wash wigs that come with a specific set of instructions allowing owners to wash them. A total of three washes with shampoo will make your wig last for three months of use again. This can go longer in case you are not using your wig every day.
- Synthetic hair also has divisions within it – straight hair and curly hair. Wigs that come with straight synthetic hair must use a shampoo that is gentle on the hair strands. A neutral shampoo can keep the mane manageable. A neutral shampoo will also ensure that the chemicals do not take away any natural oils in the hair. Too many chemicals in the wig can lead to damage in the hair strands or, worse, burning of the synthetics.
- After shampooing the wig with a neutral shampoo, choose to run the strands with a wide-toothed comb or a paddle brush. These two types of brushes ensure that the strands are not tugged at. Once you detangle the hair, the wig can sit alone in a room for a couple of hours to air dry itself. The question of hairstyles come in here as if you want curly hair; you can get your rollers out and let them sit in the wig for a while
- Air drying of the wig combined with rollers will result in the most perfect wavy or curly hair. There is no need for hot rollers or hot iron, and therefore, there is minor damage to the hair shafts. If you must, you can apply low heat to the wig and let the hairstyle set in. The temperature of the hot iron should not go beyond 300 degrees at the most.
- Another way of washing wigs made out of synthetic hair is by washing the wig with a laundry detergent and then softening it with a fabric softener. Fabric softener works wonders on synthetic wigs by making the hair bouncy, shiny, and soft. Besides, the wigs smell fresh for a longer time as compared to using shampoo on them.
Things to Remember Before You Wash Your Wig:
One cannot just take their wig to the washbasin and give it a good wash to see proper results. It takes time, patience, and procedure to make a synthetic wig look good after a wash.
- Before you wash your wig, comb through all the knots and tangles in the hair. Brushing out all the tangles in the hair leaves no space for frizziness after the wash.
- Wash the wig underwater that is neither cold nor too hot. Hot water distorts the hair strands, while cold water can leave no effect on the hair.
- Avoid washing wigs in the washing machine as it will surely destroy the wig and the hairstyle.
Wigs need extra care and careful washing methods if you intend to make them last longer. Wash your wigs with suitable laundry detergents or neutral shampoos after a couple of uses, and you are good to go!
List of the Best Wigs Shampoo
You May Also Like to Read: