For the last few years, the trend of “no-poo” has been rising immensely. The young generation has started to ditch the conventional method of everyday shampooing to avoid the damage caused by chemicals and detergents used in shampoos and make their hair healthy in the long run. If you’re someone who has decided to swap shampoo with other alternatives, then go on reading this article to check out how to gain lustrous hair by retaining the natural oil balance in your hair. We are here to show you how to let your scalp breathe!
- What Does It Mean by Washing Hair Without Shampoo?
- Is It Wise Decision To Washing Your Hair Without Shampoo?
- How is pH level Important in Hair Cleansing?
- How To Wash Hair Without Shampoo?
- Alternatives Of Shampooing
- How Often Should You Wash Your Hair Without Shampoo?
What Does It Mean by Washing Hair Without Shampoo?
The first question that comes to mind is it possible to wash hair without shampoo? The answer is yes! Washing hair without using shampoo doesn’t mean abstaining from cleaning your hair. But, it means trying new substances to get rid of hair dirt and grime and avoid removing the scalp’s natural oils. Washing hair without shampoo can also help to protect your beautiful natural hair from harmful chemicals. Over the past few years, many users have switched to natural hair care products like apple cider vinegar, baking soda, lemon, co-washes, and many alternatives that help their hair clean, sharpen, and soften.
Is It Wise Decision To Washing Your Hair Without Shampoo?
The answer depends on your hair condition, pH level, texture, length, and needs. The transition from daily shampooing to no-poo is not an easy task. It requires almost 2 to 16 weeks to adjust your hair to all-new hair care products.
Some persons can keep their hair healthy by washing their hair with normal lukewarm water and a little bit of water diluted shampoo. Others have to rely on clarifying shampoos frequently scalp gets more dirty and sweaty than others. But deciding to go shampoo-free has its benefits which you can start to realize after a year.
How is pH level Important in Hair Cleansing?
Before going into deep, we should understand the basic science behind the growth of your hair. The pH scale of your hair is a prominent factor in determining the suitability of a hair cleanser. The pH scale is measured between 0-14. The pH level of normal water is neutral, i.e., 7. Anything below is featured as acidic, and above is alkaline. Human Skin is slightly around acidic, which helps to prevent the buildup of bacteria and fungus. Therefore, it’s very important to know your hair’s pH level for growing your hair faster.
How To Wash Hair Without Shampoo?
- Prepare your hair by simply detangling to make the process easier. Always start from the end.
- Massage your entire scalp by using fingertips to loosen the natural oil into the hair.
- Divide the hair into thin sections and run it down between your fingers to distribute the oil throughout your hair.
- Take small sections and start brushing with a boar bristle brush. If your hair feels dry, oiling will be a better option.
- Wet your hair with warm water, which will help to open up the cuticles. Don’t damage your hair by using too much hot water.
- Expose your scalp by parting in short sections and gently massage your scalp with fingertips while standing under running water. It will help to stripe off the oil and dirt.
- Simply run your fingers down through the thin strands of your hair, i.e., from roots to tips. Repeat the process until the whole scalp and hairline get cleaned.
- Now rinse your hair with cold running water.
- Simply pat your hair dry with a T-shirt or towel.
- Comb your hair with a wide toothbrush from top to down. And leave it for air dry.
P.S: Don’t try to wash your hair daily. The less often you wash your hair, the less oil will be produced naturally. And your hair won’t get dirty easily.
Alternatives Of Shampooing
The most used shampoo alternative is plain baking soda. The high pH value (9) of it helps to cleanse your scalp effectively. But higher concentration can make your hair dry, frizzy, and damaged, and sometimes can be harsh to the scalp. Try to neutralize it by mixing apple cider vinegar. In case you feel dry, apply a conditioner.
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
This useful substance is known for its multiple benefits, from cleaning to shining to treating inflammation. It also helps to supply vital minerals like calcium, manganese, and iron to enhance hair strength and keeps your hair color last longer.
Always dilute ACV in water or mix it with oil before applying it to the hair. Keep your eyes safe from it. Some persons use diluted lemon juice to get rid of excess oil for massaging and rinsing purposes.
Nowadays, dry shampoo is a great alternative to liquid chemical solutions. It is an easy hack in the busy life of people. Just take some powder and refresh your hair while you’re on the go. But remember, dry shampoo can’t cleanse your hair. In addition, overusing it can clog your hair follicle and leads to other types of problems. Only consider dry shampoo when the wet wash isn’t at all possible.
Hair soaps have saponified oils, like Palm oil which clean your hair. Always check the ingredients before buying. Go for soaps containing avocado oil, butter, or castor oil which give ultimate moisturization. The synthetic substance-free hair soaps make your hair smoother, stronger, and shinier. They can help to get rid of scalp irritation.
A more preferred shampoo alternative is henna. You can easily get it from the market. The natural ingredients of it will help reduce hair fall, provide deep conditioning, and promote hair growth. Try to apply henna once every one month.
Besides facial masks, Bentonite clay is also used for hair cleansing. It will clean all the dirt and greasiness from your scalp. You can use it over chemical shampoos for its harmless cleaning properties.
The most amazing hair care ingredient is Amla. Buy amla powder from local stores or make it at your home. The essential fatty acids of amla help to lessen hair fall by promoting hair growth. It can get off premature hair greying.
How Often Should You Wash Your Hair Without Shampoo?
Wash hair too frequently is not a great idea. Be aware of your hair type and texture. Look for products that will not strip off the natural moisture of your hair.
Benefits of Washing Hair Without Shampoo
- Improves scalp health
- Balance sebum production
- Increase hair volume
- Improves hair texture
- Lessen damage from exposure to harmful chemicals
- An eco-friendly and cost-effective method
Tips For No Shampoo Method
- Choose products that best suit your hair type.
- Stick to this method to see the result as it takes time.
- Avoid hair styling, especially heating tools to keep you healthy.
- Use soft water as much as possible.
- Choose gentle hair cleaning products and use deep conditioning products once a month.
It’s good to see that you’ve realized that shampoo is not at all innocent for your soft hair, and you’re searching for alternative ways to traditional hair cleansing. Since most of the market-bought shampoos have harmful chemicals, therefore it’s a wise decision to opt for the no-shampoo method. All you need is to take time to get used to it. Follow a proper hair care routine for maintaining healthy hair. Make every day happy hair day!
You May Also Like to Read: